Laney College student Egypt bound for educational program

Laney College student Reginald James, host of The Black Hour, will be heading to Egypt at the end of May.


Support my journey to Egypt.


The two week trip is a part of the Merritt College Africana Studies Department's Study Abroad program. The purpose of the program is to "globalize students’ understanding of the African world historically, culturally and politically from an African Centered perspective."

James participated in a 2006 trip to Jamaica with Merritt College and is looking forward to visiting Africa for the first time.

"Growing up, I dreamed of going to Egypt," James said. "Then Michael Jackson's 'Remember the Time' video came out when I was at Longfellow (Elementary) and I said, 'I'm going to Egypt.' Now, I've been blessed to have a dream come true."

"Growing up, I dreamed of going to Egypt. Then Michael Jackson's 'Remember the Time' video came out when I was at Longfellow (Elementary) and I said, 'I'm going to Egypt.' Now, I've been blessed to have a dream come true."
Reginald James
The trip is being led by Professor Manu Ampim, a history professor at Contra Costa College in Richmond and adjunct faculty of Africana Studies at Merritt College. With over 20 years experience in Primary Research, Ampim is a reknown African scholar exposing fraudulent attempts to de-Africanize Egypt, known as Kemet.

Priority enrollment in the study aboard program is given to student activists, economically disadvantaged students of color, and single-parent students.

James is currently raising money for the rest of the trip's expenses. He has set up a special blog, California to Cairo to document the trip and accept donations.

"Traveling always makes you grow as a person. This experience will make me a better person for the community I serve," James said. "Besides documenting the trip on the Cali to Cairo blog, I will be making community presentations this summer and through the fall, to share my experiences."


To contribute, visit http://calitocairo.blogspot.com

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More